Tuesday, December 8, 2009

First Blog - Welcome

WELCOME!

This is my first step into the world of Blogging. My goal is to provide content that will be useful to those who are currently in my network and those who I hope to network with down the road.

I have always been a strong advocate of sharing knowledge and so as I attend seminars, learn new perspectives and techniques from other professionals, and read relevant business information in books, I will pass along those learnings.

Quick Footnote......
As I share this information I will be up-front and transparent and tell you that I may interject some of my own experiences, thoughts or ideas.....that is the beauty of being the author of a blog. You in turn are free to agree, disagree or remain indifferent.....whichever you choose is okay with me, but my goal remains to simply share some good information (from my perspective) that will hopefully enlighten you in a new way.

So it begins.......
I am currently reading a book that is called "Three Feet From Gold" by Sharon Lechter & Greg Reid. What prompted me to buy this book is that I was recently laid off from my job and I did not want to get discouraged or develop self pity. I was on a mission to read (which I love to do) something motivating and positive to flood my mind with constructive thoughts and keep the destructive thoughts from creeping in.

As of this blog I am halfway through the book, but wanted to share a few lessons that struck me as profound. The first was...."Never Make a Major Decision In a Valley." The Cliff Notes version of this is that many of us tend to make major decisions about our life when we are at a negative turning point (Loss of Job, loss of a loved one, divorce, etc.). It may seem obvious, and yet not very recognized until the decision is made. Case in point is the start of 2009. How many major business decisions were made when companies were at the lowest point or in a state of fear? These "in the valley" decisions may lead to negative long-term cost impact.

The second thing I read in this book that struck me was this notion of (P+T) x A x A = Success. "P" standing for passion, "T" standing for talent, first "A" standing for association, second "A" standing for action (Passion + Talent X Association X Action).

It may appear complex if you are not a fan of math, but actually this is no math involved. Its simply a good "process of elimination" exercise used to uncover your life's purpose as it relates to your career (i.e. The complimentary combination of what motivates you and what you are talented at).

This is truly one of those books for me that has prompted a lot of good thinking, centers you and starts the building blocks for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment